Install the Classic Editor Plugin in WordPress 5.
WordPress recently replaced their editor with Gutenberg but you may want to keep using the old one that you are familiar with.
While there are many editors available, the Classic Editor is an official WordPress plugin.
This means it is fully supported and compatible with WordPress.
In this guide, we will show you how to install and enable the Classic Editor plugin so you can use it in place of the Gutenberg block editor.
- Log into your WordPress Dashboard.
- Click Plugins then Add New.
- Type ‘classic editor‘ in the search field.
- You will see the Classic Editor plugin by WordPress Contributors listed, click the Install Now button.
Enable the Classic Editor in WordPress 5.
- In your WordPress Dashboard go to Settings, then Writing.
- Next to “Default editor for all users” choose what editor you want your contributors to have. Options are Classic Editor and Block Editor.
- Choose if you want to “Allow users to switch editors.“
- Click the Save Changes button. You are finished when you see a “Settings Saves” message.
Now you know how to use the Classic Editor instead of Gutenberg in WordPress 5!